With another busy year almost behind us, there’s no sign of things letting up, so here’s how to get through to 2017 without falling apart.
– Acknowledge your feelings – the holiday season may not always be a joyful time, particularly if you have lost someone close to you. It’s okay to express your feelings even if they are not in sync with everyone else around you.
– Be realistic – holidays don’t have to be perfect. As families change and grow, traditions and rituals often change as well. Be open to creating new ones.
– Plan your time and budget – decide ahead of time what you will spend on gifts, entertainment, etc and which parties you will be attending. Overstretching yourself creates a lot of additional stress.
– Get enough sleep – this is usually the first thing to go, so make sure you are getting close to eight hours a night. It will enable the body to rejuvenate and cope better.
– Exercise – sticking to an exercise routine will help combat stress and sluggishness that tends to come with all those extra festivities.
– Eat healthy foods regularly to maintain blood glucose levels, and fill up on nutritious foods before climbing into those indulgent snacks.
– Limit your caffeine intake.
– Avoid excessive alcohol intake and the downhill depressive slump it can cause.
– Learn relaxation techniques – keeping cortisol levels in check will help your immune system.
– Use supplements, where necessary. There are many options available at Thrive to help cope with stress, sleeplessness and anxiety. Valerian, milk thistle, rhodiola and vitamin C are some of the natural supplements that could benefit you.
Thrive offers many wellness products and health foods that will set you up for a happy and healthy holiday season. Pop in to see the organic, natural and local produce on offer.
Thrive is the new name for National Road, Pharmacy, 1 Natalia Terrace, Charles Way, Kloof
031 764 0311Tags: Festive season, health, healthy living, holidays, stress, Thrive