Award-winning businesswoman and the Executive Director of the Hirsch’s group, Margaret Hirsch, is soon to launch her third cookbook.
Joining At Home With Hirsch’s, the book that she wrote with colleagues who helped her run her legendary microwave cookery schools in the 1980s, and Living a Vegetarian Life – a book that she wrote when she became a vegetarian, is her Vegan Cookbook. The book will be on sale in all Hirsch’s branches from the beginning of May.
“I have been vegetarian for most of my life but I wanted to become vegan for some time. As they say, old habits die hard, and it took quite a long time to transition from vegetarian to fully vegan. I must say that just consuming a plant-based diet has made a huge difference to my health. I feel so much fitter and seem to have more energy than some people half my age,” says Margaret.
Margaret shares some of her recipes here.
- 2 cans of cooked lentils, well rinsed (about 550ml)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil (30ml)
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder (2.5ml)
- 3/4 tsp cumin (6ml)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (2.5ml – use more or less depending on how spicy you want them!)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (2.5ml)
For the Taco Toppings
- 1 diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (125ml)
- 1 chopped avocado
- 4 grated carrots
- 1/2 cup salsa (125ml)
- small corn or wheat tacos
Heat the olive oil in a large pan.
Add the chopped onion and garlic. Cook for about 3 minutes.
Add the lentils and spices.
Cook until completely heated while mashing with a large spoon. Continue cooking while you prepare the toppings.
Prepare the green peppers, carrots, cilantro, avocado and salsa.
Remove the mashed lentils from heat and place them in a bowl.
Set out the tacos, begin by filling them with the lentil mixture and then add your toppings and enjoy.
Chickpea Quinoa Salad
- 3/4 cup quinoa (dry, uncooked) (180ml)
- 1 1/2 cups water (375ml)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (375ml)
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped (125ml)
- 1 English cucumber, diced (500ml)
- 1 bell pepper (yellow is nice) diced (250g)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (250ml)
- 1/4 cup olives, chopped or halved (60ml)
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped (125ml)
- 1/4 cup dill, chopped (60ml)
Place quinoa, water and a pinch of salt in an Instant pot. Cover and set to pressure cook for 6 minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
Make the dressing, by mixing it all in a bowl.
Prep all the veggies.
Place the chickpeas, onions, cucumber, bell pepper, tomatoes, olives, dill and parsley to a large bowl.
Add the quinoa and dressing and give it a good toss.
Tags: A Sneak Peak at Margaret Hirsch's Vegan Cookbook, Margaret Hirsch, Recipes, The Ridge magazine, Vegan cookbook, vegan recipes